Sutton-cum-Lound Parish. This extensive parish is divided into the two townships of Sutton and Lound, which are bounded on the west by Barnby Moor and Torworth, and on the east by the River Idle. It contains 870 inhabitants, and 4,429 acres of rich sandy land, which produces abundant crops of wheat and turnips, and is noted for its early potatos, of which large quantities are sent to Sheffield and other markets.
The common land was enclosed in 1777, when 718a, 3r 26p, now called Danes Hill Farm, were allotted to the impropriator, the Duke of Portland, and 105a 22p to the vicar, in lieu of all the tithes of the parish. The Archbishop of York enjoys the manorial rights of both Sutton and Lound. The former is all copyhold (except about 2½ acres), subject to small certain fines, and the latter is mostly freehold, belonging to resident owners, of which John Walker Esq. and Henry Bagshaw Esq. are the principal.
The Duke of Portland, the Rev. William Simpson, Thomas Markham, and Joseph Allison Esqs. are the principal owners of Sutton. The Archbishop had the manor of Sutton at the Domesday survey, but that of Lound was partly soc to the King’s manor of Bothamsall, and partly of the fee of Roger de Busli.
Sutton stands half a mile east of the north road, and three miles north-west by north of Retford. The church, dedicated to St Bartholomew, is an ancient gothic structure, with a large chancel, a north aisle, and a handsome pinnacled tower, in which are three bells.
The interior of the fabric underwent a thorough reparation a few years ago, and the old east window gave place to a new one. In the chancel are two ancient oak chests, probably as old as the church itself, in which the parish records are kept. One of them is formed of a solid piece of oak, and they are greatly admired as relics of antiquity. Several neat tablets have been erected in memory of the Clark family, of Barnby Moor.
The vicarage is valued in the King’s books at £10, and has the living of Scrooby annexed to it. The Duke of Portland is the patron, and the Rev. William Thomas Hurt is the incumbent, who built a commodious vicarage house in the village in 1843. The Independents have a chapel here, built in 1816.
Lound is a pleasant village, about one mile north-east of Sutton. Henry Bagshaw and John Walker Esqs. have neat mansions in the village.
Highfield, another handsome residence, on an eminence a little to the east of the village, is the property of John Walker Esq., but at present unoccupied.
Bellmoor, a farm of about 700 acres, mostly in Lound, is the property of Thomas Markham Esq. of Becca Lodge, Yorkshire. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1834. The parish school and master’s house, with half an acre of land for garden, stand half-way betwixt the two villages, and were built in 1783 at a cost of £100, which partly arose from the interest of £70, left in 1742 by Richard Taylor, and now vested in £112 10s, three and a half percent stock. St the enclosure in 1777, two allotments, containing 6a 22p, now let for £15 per annum, were awarded to the overseers of the two townships, for the use of the schoolmaster, for which, and the dividends of the aforesaid stock, he teaches 6 free scholars, 3 from each village, but is allowed to charge 3d per week for reading, and 6d for writing and arithmetic, to the rest of the children.
Benefactions. The following annuities are received in equal moieties, by the overseers of Sutton and Lound, and distributed amongst the poor at Easter, viz. £2 out of Danes Hill Farm, 10s out of Chapel House, 10s out of the Old Sun Inn, Retford, 2s out of George Johnson’s estate in Lound, and 10s out of an estate that did belong jointly to the Hon. J.B. Simpson, and Benjamin Fearnly Esq., but now to the Rev. William Simpson.